Old Town is a historic neighborhood in Alexandria, Virginia. Founded in 1749, Old Town is home to many of the city’s oldest and most well-preserved buildings. It is also a popular destination for shopping, dining, and nightlife. With its cobblestone streets and 18th-century architecture, Old Town is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. There are many shops, restaurants, and cafes to explore, as well as a variety of museums and attractions.
Old Town is also home to the Torpedo Factory Art Center, which houses over 80 working artist studios. Visitors can watch artists at work, take classes, or participate in art demonstrations.
Popular Old Town Attractions
Alexandria Waterfront Park
The Alexandria Waterfront Park is a beautiful spot to relax or stroll along the Potomac River. The park has a playground, picnic areas, and a public pier where you can fish or enjoy river views.
George Washington Masonic National Memorial
The George Washington Masonic National Memorial is a towering neo-classical building that was completed in 1932.
Christ Church is a historic Episcopal church that was founded in 1749.
The Carlyle House Historic Park
It is an 18th-century house that was once the home of John Carlyle, one of the founders of Alexandria. The house is now a museum that exhibits the history of Alexandria and the Carlyle family.
Old Town Farmer’s Market
The Old Town Farmer’s Market is held every Saturday from April to December. The market features fresh local produce, flowers, baked goods, and more.
Old Town Trolley Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours offers 90-minute tours of Old Town and the surrounding area. The tour includes historic sites like Mount Vernon, Arlington National Cemetery, and the U.S. Capitol Building.
One popular tourist activity is riding a horse-drawn carriage through Old Town. These carriage rides are offered by a variety of companies and typically last around 30 minutes.
Restaurants in Old Town
There are many great restaurants to choose from in Old Town. Here are just a few of the most popular options.
- The Old Dominion Brewhouse is a local favorite for its delicious food and wide selection of beer. The brewpub also has a rooftop deck with views of the Old Town.
- Jackson 20 is a popular spot for American comfort food. The restaurant features a seasonal menu with roasted chicken, burgers, shrimp and grits.
- Chart House is another excellent choice for seafood lovers. The restaurant has an extensive menu with fresh fish, crab cakes, and lobster tails.
- For dessert, be sure to check out Dangerously Delicious Pies. The pie shop offers sweet and savory pies and a selection of ice cream.
Hotels in Old Town
There are some great hotels located in Old Town. Here are just a few of the most popular options.
- The Duke Street Kings is a boutique hotel with an Old Town feel. The hotel offers a variety of room types, from standard rooms to suites.
- The Hilton Alexandria Old Town is a 4-star hotel located in the heart of Old Town. The hotel features an outdoor pool, fitness center, and restaurants.
- The Alexandrian Autograph Collection is a luxurious option for travelers looking for 5-star accommodations. The hotel has an on-site spa, a 24-hour fitness center, and several restaurants.
Old Town is a beautiful and historic area with plenty to see and do. Whether you’re interested in shopping, dining, history, or art, Old Town has something for everyone.
Nearby Old Town Attractions
In addition to the attractions within Old Town, several nearby attractions are worth checking out.
The National Zoo is just a short drive from Old Town and is home to over 2,700 animals. In addition, the zoo features animal exhibits, educational programs, and special events throughout the year.
The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum is one of the most famous museums in the country. The museum has exhibits on the history of aviation and space exploration, as well as hands-on activities for kids.
Arlington National Cemetery is a short drive from Old Town and is the final resting place for many famous Americans, including Presidents John F. Kennedy and William Howard Taft.
There are also a number of tours available that showcase the area’s rich history.
Whether you’re looking to explore the past or enjoy some good food and shopping, Old Town Centers Area in Alexandria, VA, is the perfect place!