Lake Fairfax Park
Lake Fairfax Park is a park in Reston, Virginia that offers many different recreational activities for residents and visitors.
The park features a large lake perfect for swimming, fishing, and boating. There are also several hiking trails, picnic areas, and playgrounds. Lake Fairfax Park is a great place to enjoy the outdoors and spend time with family and friends.
The history of the place is pretty interesting. Lake Fairfax was created in the early 1960s as part of the Washington Metropolitan Area’s water supply system. The Army Corps of Engineers built the Lake Fairfax Dam to create the lake. Fairfax County acquired the parkland surrounding the lake in 1974.
Activities you can do at Lake Fairfax Park:
Lake Fairfax is open for swimming from Memorial Day to Labor Day. There is a lifeguard on duty during these times.
Hiking trails are open year-round and are a great way to explore the park. Three main trails range in difficulty from easy to moderate.
- Lake Fairfax Trail: This 1.1-mile loop trail is the easiest trail in the park and perfect for a short hike or walk.
- South Lakes Park Connector Trail: This 2.2-mile trail connects Lake Fairfax Park to South Lakes Park.
- Difficult Run Stream Valley Trail: This 8.9-mile trail is the park’s longest and most difficult trail. It follows the Difficult Run Stream through the park.
Fishing is allowed year-round in Lake Fairfax Park with a valid Virginia fishing license. Boating is also allowed year-round, but only non-motorized boats are permitted.
Types of fish:
- Largemouth Bass
The kids can enjoy the playgrounds while the adults can relax at one of the picnic pavilions. Lake Fairfax Park is a great place to enjoy the outdoors and spend time with family and friends.
There’s also the wildlife in Lake Fairfax Park, including ducks, geese, turtles, fish, and deer. The park is also home to a variety of birds.
You can feed the ducks and geese at Lake Fairfax Park, but please do not feed the turtles or fish. The deer are wild animals and should not be fed by humans.
Picnic areas are open year-round and offer a great place to relax and enjoy a meal with family and friends. There are four picnic areas located around the lake. Each picnic area has tables, grills, and restrooms.
Rules and Regulations:
- Swimming is only allowed in designated areas and when lifeguards are on duty (Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend).
- Fishing is allowed year-round with a valid Virginia fishing license.
- Boating is allowed year-round, but only non-motorized boats are permitted.
- Hiking and picnicking are allowed year-round.
- Please do not feed the turtles or fish.
- The deer are wild animals and should not be fed by humans.
Lake Fairfax Park is open year-round from dawn to dusk. Admission is free for Fairfax County residents and $5 for non-residents. Parking is also free.
The lake and park are open from sunrise to sunset.
It is a great place to enjoy the outdoors and spend time with family and friends. There are many different activities to choose from, so there is something for everyone.
The park is open year-round and offers a variety of events and programs.
For more information, please visit the Lake Fairfax Park website.