At Ridgetop Dental, we are dedicated to helping you rediscover the joy of a full, vibrant smile. Through personalized denture solutions, we design smiles that are as unique as our patients. Whether you are experiencing the effects of aging, tooth decay, or trauma, our comprehensive dentures service is here to transform your oral health and elevate your quality of life. Read below to learn more about our denture services in Virginia.
What Are Dentures?
Dentures are custom-made dental prosthetics designed to replace missing teeth. These custom-made fixtures are crafted using materials that mimic the appearance of natural gums and teeth, giving you a natural-looking smile.
Dentures are an integral part of restorative dentistry, aiding not just in mastication (the process of chewing) but also in speech and maintaining facial structure. There are several types of dentures available depending on your individual needs.
These dentures replace all of your teeth and are fitted to your gums. They can be conventional, meaning they are created after the teeth have been removed and the gum tissue has begun to heal, or immediate, made in advance and can be positioned as soon as the teeth are removed.
These dentures are used when some of your natural teeth remain in the upper or lower jaw. Partial dentures are often used not only to fill the spaces created by missing teeth but also to prevent other teeth from changing position.
Benefits Of Dentures
Dentures come with a number of benefits that go beyond just improving your smile. Below are a few reasons you may want to consider replacing missing teeth with dentures.
- Chewing and mastication: The primary function of teeth is to break down food, and dentures restore this capability in patients who have lost their teeth.
- Speech: Teeth play a pivotal role in articulating certain sounds. Dentures can assist in restoring the ability to pronounce words more clearly, particularly those that require the tongue to make contact with the upper anterior teeth.
- Facial structure maintenance: The teeth provide support to the facial muscles. By replacing missing teeth, dentures can help maintain the natural contour of a person’s face, preventing the sagging appearance that can occur with tooth loss.
How Dentures Stay In Place
Many patients who are exploring denture options often have questions about how these restorations stay securely in place. By gaining a deeper understanding of the stability of dentures, patients can make informed decisions about how they choose to restore their smile.
- Natural suction: Upper complete dentures cover the palate and rely on the creation of a vacuum between the acrylic and the palate, allowing them to be held in place by natural suction.
- Adhesives: Over-the-counter denture adhesives can be used to enhance the stability and retention of dentures.
- Clasps and connectors: For partial dentures, metal or acrylic clasps may be used. These wrap around the adjacent natural teeth, anchoring the denture in place.
- Dental implants: Some dentures are supported or retained by dental implants, providing an exceptionally secure fit. These are known as implant-supported or implant-retained dentures.
The Process Of Getting Dentures
At Ridgetop Dental, our proficient team, led by our seasoned doctors, is here to guide you every step of the way when restoring your smile with dentures, from the initial consultation to the fitting and aftercare. Below is a detailed explanation of the process involved in getting dentures.
Your journey begins with a comprehensive consultation with our expert doctor, who possesses extensive experience in prosthodontics. During this appointment, your oral health status will be thoroughly assessed—involving a review of your dental history, an examination, and necessary x-rays to evaluate the condition of any remaining teeth and the jawbone. This meeting is the perfect opportunity to discuss your concerns or preferences and for the doctor to recommend the best course of action for you.
Depending on your individual needs, preparatory procedures such as tooth extractions, treatment of gum disease, or other services might be carried out. This is done to ensure that your oral health is optimized before proceeding to the next step.
Impressions & Measurements
Once your gums are healthy and ready, precise impressions of your mouth will be taken. This step is crucial in fabricating dentures that fit perfectly. Our doctor will record meticulous details of your jaw’s range of motion, the space between both jaws, and the way they function together to craft dentures that align seamlessly with your natural jaw movements.
Fitting & Adjustments
Once your dentures are ready, you will be called in for the fitting. During this session, our doctor will carefully fit your dentures, examining all functionalities and aesthetics to ensure a comfortable and natural look. It is not uncommon to require a few adjustment appointments to fine-tune the fit to perfection.
Adaptation & Guidance
Following the fitting session, we will provide guidance on how to adapt to your new dentures. We offer continuous support and guidance, helping you adjust to your restoration and addressing any discomfort or issues that may arise. We are here to ensure your transition is smooth and comfortable, providing you with a solution that meets your needs for years to come.